Marketing is one of those careers which offers a multi-faceted pathway which continues to grow and grow, thanks to the rise of online and social media marketing. Careers in marketing can be anything from advertising, media plannig and sales related, through to strategy and PR. Without a marketing degree, you could still stand a chance to get into this interesting career.
Make the most of your experience: before you attempt to get a job in marketing, research what marketing actually means to check you would be a good fit. There are some skills and qualities which would be beneficial within marketing:
- Creative thinking – looking at problems in different ways
- Communication skills – being a strong writer who can clearly convey your thoughts
- Organise and interpret data
- Spot problems and find ways to solve them
- Research skills – understand issues from several angles
Thinking about the qualifications you already have, looks and see if anything jumps out as showing your abilities in any of the above areas. Marketing requires a wide range of skills so if you can demonstrate you have these skills, you should be able to get into this career. Having knowledge of a foreign language is often desirable to marketing companies as they like to expand into non-English speaking markets.